Tuesday 15 May 2018

Evaluation for Music Video

To start of this evaluation I would just like to state that 2/3 of the way through filming I decided to leave the group because I didn't like the way we were managing ourselves and I felt like my input was not being taken seriously and I got frustrated with the members of my group so I made the decision to leave the group happy with the work that I had helped with.

We chose the song I Only Wear Black by The Wombats because it was a song we all liked and after picking several songs we all liked we created ideas for each one and then we decided that our idea for the Wombats song was the best idea we had to go with the music and we felt like we could do the most with this song. I was away on holiday the first week of the unit but while I was away Connie and Leah held a focus group and helped get ideas and feedback on our idea and the song and asked for advice on the way we could do this to the best of our ability. After a focus group we were solid on our idea and it helped us become creative with what we are capable of.

With regards to the production of the music video we decided to do a narrative of following the monster around in his day to day life, the problems that came with this are that a lot of the shots in the sun are over-exposed which added some issues but to counter-act this we used heavy editing to balance out the saturation and the exposure. With filming within Connie's house we had the issues of space and the camera and tri-pod setting was very space consuming, to counteract this we did a lot of walking shots and hand-held shots and then just have to stabilise them in the editing phase of the music video.

The main problem my group faced was time-management and the conflict of schedules as we all had part-time jobs and other commitments etc. The first time we filmed Connie's boyfriend came over due to something that was already pre-planned which cut our filming short for example or like the time I had plans later in the day and filming ran later than intended and when we had planned to film other times we would do film about 15 minutes of footage because we would get distracted with other things. This ended up being very frustrating for everyone in the group because we felt like we were just wasting precious time when we could have been filming. Another issue we had was that the mask was very claustrophobic and hard to see in due to it being paper-mache. This made it hard to film for long periods of time because I would begin to feel light-headed, it also made seeing where I was going hard so this impacted on how natural the filming looked because sometimes my walking would be awkward and timid. To try and counteract this we would do the shot several times with and without the mask so I could try and  gain some spacial awareness.

Another issue was that we broke continuity half way through the video because we filmed on a hot day where it reached 24 degrees and I did not feel comfortable or want to risk getting ill from the heat with wearing a mask I couldn't breathe in, fur and a jumper so we decided as a group to let me wear a t shirt with a similar design to the jumper on the front of it. This messed up our continuity but meant that I wouldn't be get ill or being uncomfortable.

This is the final video for what my group created up until 2:05 is where I took part and everything after that was filmed without me. Also at 0;47 the clip filmed isn't me either. I am proud of what I helped create with my group and it is a shame that things ended the way that they did but as far as i am concerned the 2 minutes of the video that I did help with are very good and we did do a good job as a group.


No comments:

Post a Comment