Sunday 12 November 2017

Evaluation of Video Essay of Italian Neorealism

I created a video essay on Roberto Rossellini and his influence within Italian neorealism,  I aimed to talk about his different techniques when creating films that went against the typical conventions, I also aimed to apply context to his films and the techniques used by talking about the end of the war and the repercussions of this that are evident within Rossellini's films. My film contains clips of Journey to Italy, Stromboli and Roma Cita apperta, the process of making this video essay was to gather research and information attaining to Rossellini and of Italy at the time of the Italian new wave, collect relevant clips such as films and interviews with people about Rossellini e.g Martin Scorsese, create a script that contains all of the information I need and that has relevance and structure to it and then record this using a microphone and then edit this all together into my video essay.

The things I think I have done well are that my video essay has a structure and follows a narrative, I added context and content such as the interview with Scorsese that created added depth and perspective and that my clips were well chosen, doing this new wave video essay allowed me to get a greater understanding on the making of a film and conventions and what it means to go against them, with studying Rossellini specifically it allowed me to understand his idea of naturalism and how to fully immerse an audience into your film.

The things I feel like I could improve within my new wave essay is that I think that my audio could have been refined so that there was a perfect balance between the clips audio, the speaker and the music because upon watching it back I found that in some parts it was hard to differentiate and understand what the speaker was saying due to the other audio being too loud. I could have added more detail and analysed the scenes more and spoke more upon the conventions they were showing and given a true idea of what Rossellini was doing, I think I focused too heavily on researching and understanding my new wave that when it came to do the final piece of it I didn't go into as much detail because I was too worried about getting it finished on time, my video became more of a brief introduction to Rossellini and the Italian New Wave rather than a true critical analysis of his techniques and the conventions he went against.

No comments:

Post a Comment